Wednesday 7 March 2012

Peach and Pear Breakfast Crumble

So this is my first official blog post. I thought about what would be the best recipe to start with and I decided to go for a breakfast one. Not only is it such an important meal, but I love breakfast. I love brunch more, as you can eat chocolate and claim it is breakfast, but as I always wake up hungry, I always enjoy breakfast.

This breakfast is incredibly healthy. Actually its calorie count is lower than a large croissant with jam, two pieces of toast with jam or nutella, and even cornflakes with milk and sugar. I also love fruit for breakfast - its an easy way to get a sugar hit to kickstart your day. It is absolutely delicious.


So here it is, the first ever recipe on Half Baked - 


Pear and Peach Breakfast Crumble

Level of Difficulty: Easy
Average Cost: $
Main Ingredients: Pear, Peach
Occasion: Breakfast or Dessert
Menu Options: Could also be served with ice cream instead of yoghurt. Or Greek Yoghurt instead of low-fat yoghurt. Note that the nutritional facts will change if you alter the recipe - but only slightly.
For Four – either serves four people or can make for four separate weekday breakfasts

2 pears
1 tsp Lemon juice (at most)
4 peaches / 400 g sliced peaches in juice (I use Weight Watchers)
Cinnamon / Nutmeg / your preferred flavour (optional) – how much you use depends on you
Granola or muesli – how much of this you use depends on you (see below). I use homemade granola (recipe to come later) or Lowan Whole Foods Fruit and Nut Muesli.
200g Low fat greek yoghurt (I use this much because I really love yoghurt, but again how much you use is up to you)

-          Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
-          Core and cut pears into eighths. Place them in saucepan with approx half cup of water and lemon juice. Bring water to boil. Simmer pears for five minutes, or until pears are soft.
-          Drain most of the water from the saucepan, though keep a little juice leftover. If you are making this breakfast for one, keep a fair amount of juice as you will refrigerate the pears with the juice for future mornings.
-          Place pears with peaches in a small ramekin (size of ramekin depends on you and how much you want to eat) / divide the pears and peaches among four ramekins. Ensure the peaches are cored and sliced thinly if using fresh peaches – if using tinned simply place as many peaches are you like in the ramekin.
-          If you are making this breakfast for one, you can simply use as many pear slices as you want today and keep the rest with some juice in the fridge for following breakfasts.
-          Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over the mixture – how much you use depends on your taste. I usually place about half a teaspoon of cinnamon over each ramekin.
-          Now cover the mixture with granola or muesli – again this depends on how much you want to eat. It is a good idea to completely cover the fruit with the muesli or granola. I find 2-3 tbs the right amount.
-          Bake in the oven until muesli or granola is a golden brown and the peaches are easy to cut into. This is approximately 20 minutes (as often my granola is already a golden brown and it is difficult to tell). Note that while you can eat it straightaway, the fruit will be very hot.
-          Serve with yoghurt.

      Now I am sure you have heard about this before, but it is something I want to quickly mention in hope that it will get the message out. KONY2012 - This is a worldwide event which aims to stop dictator Joseph Kony from crimes against humanity in Uganda. It is seriously worth watching the video and understanding the hype. I myself am going to particpate and it would be great if you guys could help raise awareness. 

      And on that note, goodbye fellow foodies. I hope you have a delicious day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment