Friday 18 May 2012

Apple Pie Oatmeal


Just a quick note to mention some great news I got today - I don't mind telling you guys, but I have yet to tell too many of my real life friends - I got the highest mark in one of my law subjects out of the entire year! I get an award and everything. It was pretty exciting news. Unfortunantly it doesn't look like I can make the ceremony - which is upsetting. Now - onto the actual food - which is what you're here for.

Finally an oatmeal post. So much for being a healthy living blogger.

Now, if there is one thing I am totally awful at, it is peeling things. Are you guys bad at it as well? I can barely peel a potato, and I have given up completely on sweet potatoes. Apples also take me ages. So if you're like me, peeling the apples for this may take a while. If you're like my roommate Marnie, who is now forever my official apple peeler, this will take you no time at all.

I love apple crumble. It is my all time favourite dessert. I also love pretty much anything with molten chocolate and sticky date pudding. But I fell in love with apple based deserts in Europe, in Salzburg. I remember we were sitting in this crowded resturant, all the locals just arriving as our dessert came out. The room was completely white, but there were flowers everywhere. My parents convinved me to try the apple crumble, which was beautiful. It was piping hot, with ice cold creamy vanilla ice cream. The apples were soft, the crumble crunchy, the perfect mix of sweet and spice.

Now I can't guarantee this oatmeal is that good. But it does try. And for a breakfast, it is hot, creamy, with a delicious apple tang.



Level of Difficulty: Perfectly easy
Average Cost: $
Main Ingredients: Apple and Oatmeal
Occasion: Breakfast. But if you’re like me, I eat breakfast for pretty much every meal.

Serves 1

What you need:
-          1/3 cup oats
-          1/3 cup almond milk
-          2 tbsp water
-          1 tbsp applesauce
-          1 – 2 tbsp maple syrup
-          ½ apple, peeled, cored and diced
-          2 tbsp raisins
-          1 tbsp flaked almonds

What to do:

I am a microwave gal when it comes to oats – its quick, easy and I’m scared to try on the stove. So if you usually cook on a stove, I’m sure you can still try this, but I’m not quite sure how it would work.

Combine oats, milk and water in a microwave proof bowl and microwave for 1 min 30 seconds. I like my oatmeal life this – thick, not too watery and still a little dry. If you like really creamy oatmeal, microwave for another minute.

Once the desired consistency is reached, add the applesauce, maple syrup and apple and mix well. If you want softened apples, prior to microwaving the oats place the diced apples with a tablespoon of brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and allow to bubble for 10 minutes. This will soften the apples beautifully.

Top the oatmeal with raisins and flaked almonds and apple slices from the remaining apple half if you wish.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Congratulations!! Bummer that you can't make it to the ceremony. :(

    I love apples in my oatmeal! So easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it's official, Bec is a certified genius!
    Congratulations :) You are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete